Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Birth Story of a Blog

Every time I do dishes I wonder about two things: 1- is it better for the environment to use Tupperware or plastic bags? and 2- do I use more water hand washing dishes or using my dishwasher? I'm not an overly environmentally cautious person, but I wonder about these things. And I wonder if you wonder about these things too. A couple of years ago I was standing at my sink thinking about water versus landfill usage and thought maybe if I blogged about it I could make up my mind and stop thinking about it.
So I started a blog. And it became my family blog. And I still wonder about water and landfills every time I do the dishes.

At the end of my student teaching I decided to not pursue a full time teaching job, but to take advantage of the time I have to stay at home with my daughter. I began to worry that if I wasn't working or going to school my brains would start leaking out of my head and I would forget everything I learned in my K-college education. I specifically worried that my writing skills would suffer. But let's be honest, writing just isn't the same without an (potential) audience. So I started wondering (are you catching a theme here?) what I could blog about. I read lots of blogs, and I like them, but do I have something unique to offer? Or would I just be another Mormon mommy blog. I have nothing against Mormon mommy blogs. I read a lot of them. And I like them. I guess that's kind of the point. Could my voice be unique in that vast community? Would writing exclusively about my mommyhood satisfy my brain? If people actually started reading would I be obligated to them in some way?

One day I was preparing to teach "I Stand Here Ironing" and tried to introduce the story by asking students what they think about when their hands are occupied but their brains are free. You know, like when you're doing the dishes. I explained to them the conversation I have in my head every time I do the dishes. They may have thought I was crazy. But at the end of the day my cooperating teacher told me, "that's it, that's what you should blog about." She wanted to read the things I think. And I think about plenty. As evidenced by the delay in my actually starting this blog. (What will the title be? What we address will I use? What font do I write it? Do I include pictures? What do I say in the "about me" section?)

So here I am. And here you are. So how about it. What do you think when you're hands are busy but your mind is free?

6 comments:

Chess said...

Sometimes, I think about how I really need to hang out with my friend Kayce.

Curley Family said...

I think about all the things I need to be doing, have done, or should have done. But then I think about the times I just enjoyed being with my family, spent time with my kids or husband and enjoyed life. There are even times I think I have not done enough and SO much more. I am excited to read what you think about :)

Ashley said...

Truthfully, I try not to think! It's dangerous for my mind to be free, because my mind will usually wander in some direction that leads to a panic attack. So, I try not to let my mind wander. Ever. :)

Chastina said...

It depends. Usually about what I need to do. Love the new blog!

Ashley said...

Okay, during a bout of insomnia last night, this is what I wondered. Let's say a young family loses their dad. Mom is still young and remarries. She was sealed to her first husband, so she can't be sealed to her second husband. If she and her second husband have children, are they considered born in the covenant??? Are they sealed to her and her first husband???

Kayce said...

Chessie- agreed!

Shanna and Cassie- I won't even tell you how much of my day is spent thinking about and making lists.

Ashley- Scott is always telling me I think too much. Insomnia is an extra-dangerous thing for thinking. After reading that I felt like we need to be better friends- I hope we live closer someday!