Monday, April 1, 2013

they ran

Yesterday during Sacrament meeting as a speaker was briefly recounting the story of Christ's resurrection the Spirit brought to my memory a young women lesson we had a couple of months ago.  We were talking about the Plan of Salvation and I was with a group of girls assigned to read and talk about the resurrection.  We read the account from Matthew.  I was struck then and again yesterday by verse 8 "And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy: and did run to bring his disciples word." 

Mary and Mary were the first to hear the news that Christ had risen.  They were the first to see the living Christ.  They loved him.  They knew him.  They were true disciples.  When they had the opportunity to tell the news they did not hesitate.  They did not walk quietly.  They were not concerned that the apostles might be offended that they weren't told first, or that the angel didn't appear to them.  They felt fear, but joy also, and so they ran. 

As I was pondering this the Spirit testified to me that I know Christ.  I love him.  I have a testimony of his gospel.  It makes me feel joy.  Do I run to share the news or do I let fear conquer my joy?  I can do better.  I am so thankful for the Easter holiday.   I'm thankful that I was able to sing praises to my Savior and feel the Spirit confirm to me again that He indeed lives.  I have a testimony that because He lives we will all conquer death and my family can be eternal.  He paid the price for my sins.  He knows my weaknesses.  He has suffered all of my pains.  He loves me.  This knowledge brings me joy.  I am thankful for brave women before me who have had the courage to run and tell the good news. 

No comments: