Monday, January 9, 2012

What Would You Do?

So I know I promised you some more substantive thoughts after the last post.  And I swear I'll get to them eventually.  But right now I only have a minute and have a question for you.  And I really want you to answer it.  Even if I don't know you.  I'm really curious.  So thanks in advance.

I have a spot on the back of my throat.  It's a white one.  The kind you get when you have strep.  Only my throat doesn't hurt and I certainly don't have strep.  Oh, and it's been there for probably close to a year.  I've been thinking lately about getting it checked out but I'm not sure.  Would you?  Is it worth paying a doctor visit when I'm not sick?  Is it weird that it's just there and won't go away?  Do you have a white spot on your throat and I just don't know?  What would you do?

5 comments:

Ashley said...

So it hasn't always been there, but it showed up about a year ago? I'm pretty conservative about my copays to see the doctor, so unless I had some reason to believe it was a problem, even a gut instinct, I probably wouldn't go in. That probably wasn't very helpful, sorry. :(

Bonnie Jean said...

If it's been there for a year or so, I probably wouldn't worry a ton... but I would eventually ask a doctor about it. What is your insurance coverage like? Our insurance covers "preventative care" visits 100% , so Justin and I each get one free checkup with a primary care doctor every year... So, if you have insurance and get preventative care coverage, no harm asking the doctor about it, but I probably wouldn't bother going in and asking if I actually had to pay for the visit (unless it starts to bother you).

Amy said...

My motto is that my peace of mind is worth my $20 copay. So if it's something I think about or worry about, I go in. (And then get mad that I went in for nothing...I'm such a sissy!)

Of course I rarely worry about my own stuff, because I'm busy worrying about my kids' stuff....I haven't seen a Dr. since I was in high school.

Kiersten said...

My husband has one of those. In his case it's a permanent infection, kind of like a cyst and it is benign. He'll probably always have it. Unless it is hurting you or starting to spread I don't think there's any reason to go in to see the doctor specifically for it. My recommendation is just to ask the next time you go in, but I really doubt that it's anything to worry about.

Nicole said...

I probably wouldn't make a special appointment for it. I would just ask next time you see the doctor. I know doctors don't have all the answers but I get really frustrated with them when they can't seem to help me. Like with the constant nausea I was feeling 5ish years ago. Or in December when I had a sore throat all month but they said it wasn't strep and not to worry about it, it would be gone in 7-10 days. I usually just deal with whatever is going on and hope it works itself out. (Hopefully nothing serious ever happens!)