Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Paralyzed

When I worked at the insurance office I would go to work everyday with a specific set of tasks that needed to be performed.  I knew exactly what needed to be done before lunch, by the end of the day, and what could be put off until tomorrow if I was too busy.  I knew I was getting paid $10 an hour to do those things (and I thought I would do anything for 10 bucks when I was a kid).  I knew if those things didn't get done, no one else would do them.  We would get in trouble with underwriters, clients would be upset, and I could lose my $10 job.

When I was a student I knew what I had to do each day to get my work complete for school.  Everything had a specific due date with a specific amount of points attached.  I knew what was most important and what could be put off till later.  I knew I was earning grades that would eventually earn me a piece of paper that would allow me to pay for another piece of paper from the state that would say I was legally qualified and background checked enough to get a job at a school that would pay me more than $10 an hour.  I knew if I messed up I would get bad grades hindering my ability to earn said pieces of paper.

Now I'm a stay at home mom.  I know what needs to be done everyday.  But there aren't enough hours.  I'm not getting paid $10 an hour and no task has a point value attached.  Sometimes I'm paralyzed.  My work is never finished so I don't feel like I can do anything else.  But I don't always feel like working (read: doing the dishes).  So then the work's not done and I'm not doing it and I'm not doing anything else that I want to do.  I had to overcome said paralysis to even write about it (although the my kitchen and living room are clean to total cleanliness right now.  Wait 10 minutes, it will change).  I love structure.  I love having a work day with set hours.  I love due dates and prioritizing with points.  I'm learning how to prioritize and balance a day when I have charge over my time.  Although I've been tempted to set point values to housework I've resisted.  But it's hard.  And it can be discouraging.  And redundant.  And super awesome at the same time.  I guess this whole balance thing is something we have to work on forever.  Because something will always change.  Something else will always need to be done.  And needs and wants will fluctuate till the second coming.

Maybe this is part of the reason my time budget experiment failed.  Because time isn't exactly like money.  You can't save it for something big.  It just keeps going even if you're not doing anything.  You can't predict when you'll be sick, or when a baby just needs to be played with way more than the dishes need to be done.  And some days you'll just spend the whole day in the kitchen.  Or be busy all day and look back wondering what you accomplished.  Or ditch everything and play at the park instead.  And there are no receipts to keep and track.  No accounts to balance and reconcile.  And sometimes you do so much at once you don't know how to write it down.  There is no time credit card or signature loan.  And it's beautiful.  Because it's not the time that matters, it's the people and relationships.  I'm really rambling now and wondering into different posts.  But my brain can't wrap this up all neatly yet.  Maybe it will all come together neatly later, but not right now.  So I'm going to stop.  Just like that. 

5 comments:

Trish Griffee said...

There is no such thing as balance when you're a mom...only juggling, just try not to drop anything and love the moments your in.

Chastina said...

Being a mom can be a thankless job. Although there are times that the payments are worth all the paralyzing craziness.

It's hard to wrap your head around being a stay at home mom and the trade off of emotional pay to time spent in the different activities involved with being a parent. Luckily if we have faith and trust in the Lord He takes care of us.

(Did that make sense?)

Curley Family said...

Something I try to think about is that the day that the baby (or others) need me to just sit and play with them and not get the laundry done, cleaning done or many other things done I need to is that it will all be there for me later, but my kids are only this age once and at some point they won't want to "play" with me. I better enjoy it now. So enjoy M now cause it won't be long until she will be off in the big world and might not want to spend the time with you.

Bonnie Jean said...

Sometimes I'm paralyzed. My work is never finished so I don't feel like I can do anything else. But I don't always feel like working (read: doing the dishes). So then the work's not done and I'm not doing it and I'm not doing anything else that I want to do.

^^That is one of the biggest things I struggle with right now being at home. At a 9-5 job you prioritize and finish off specific tasks and then you go home. Here, the work is never done (and it's constantly being undone)- it expands to fill all available time and isn't necessarily made up of well-defined tasks with a specific start and finish point... and any task's relative importance compared to something else will change 10 times before the end of the day.

All of which is to say- you've summed up, more eloquently than I can, some things I've been thinking about recently.

Kayce said...

Shan- agreed! Paralysis mostly occurs during nap time =) I have no scruples ditching all the housework or whatever else to read books or go to the park.

Bonnie- So glad I'm not alone in this. "Constantly being undone" is so true! I just cleaned my living room and not even 10 minutes later it's covered in books and toys. At least we're having fun, right?